This table will permit an evaluation of the current level of support for related research training and the extent to which the proposed training grant has overlap in participating faculty. This information is useful in assessing the institutional environment and determining the number of training positions to be awarded.
For all currently active, federal institutional training (e.g., NIH T32, T35, AHRQ T32), career development, and research education (e.g., NIH R25, K12/KL2, TL1) support available to the participating faculty members, list the following:
- Grant Title. Provide the full grant title. Do not list all training and related grants at the participating institution(s); list only those with any overlapping faculty (i.e., including any of the same faculty members participating in the proposed training program).
- Award Number. Provide the full award number.
- Project Period. Provide project period dates inclusive of the entire project period, in the format MM/YYYY-MM/YYYY
- PD/PI. Provide the name of the PD/PI(s), in the format Last Name, First Name and Middle Initial.
- Number of Predoctoral Positions. Provide the number of full-time predoctoral training positions. In the Total row, sum the number of predoctoral positions across all awards and enter the total in bold font.
- Number of Postdoctoral Positions. Provide the number of full-time postdoctoral training positions. In the Total row, sum the number of postdoctoral positions across all awards and enter the total in bold font.
- Number of Short-Term Positions. Provide the number of short-term training positions. In the Total row, sum the number of short-term positions across all awards and enter the total in bold font.
- Number of Participating Faculty (Number Overlapping). Provide the total number of participating faculty members and, parenthetically, the number of participating faculty members who are also named in this application (overlapping faculty).
- Names of Overlapping Faculty. List the last names of all overlapping faculty.
Summarize these data in the Background Section of the Research Training Program Plan. Use the narrative to summarize the level of research training support at the institution and describe any relevant restrictions on that support (e.g., whether it is targeted to specific groups of trainees, such as early- or late-stage graduate students, medical students, etc.). Provide an explanation for instances where the tabular data indicate that there may be substantial overlap of participating faculty.
Table 3: Medical School Guidance
* Please contact the Medical School Pre-Award and Proposal Development Services office at MSPreAward@umn.edu for a master copy of Table 3. *
Use the mentors listed in Table 2 to cross reference the names with Table 3 and list out overlapping faculty in the last column and convert the faculty names in the second to last column to numbers.
Only list overlapping programs. If no faculty participating in your T32 are on a given training grant at the U, omit that grant from the list.
Sample Table 3
Federal Institutional Research Training Grants and Related Support Available to Participating Faculty Members
|Grant Title||Award Number||Project Period||PD/PI||Number of Predoctoral Positions||Number of Postdoctoral Positions||Number of Short-Term Positions||Number of Participating Faculty (Number Overlapping)||Names of Overlapping Faculty|
|Bioimmunotherapy Training Grant||T32 CA05964-11||07/2011-06/2016||Thomas, James C.||12||0||0||25 (6)||Abelson
|Genetic Basis of Mental Illness||T32 MH02708-07||07/2010-06/2015||Johnson, Albert P.||4||4||2||
|Research Education Program for Residents in Psychiatry||R25 MH09876-06||07/2013-06/2018||Mendez, V. Roberto||0||6||0||33 (3)||
|Career Development in Pediatric Mental Health||K12 HD01234-09||07/2012-06/2017||Sterman, Patricia S.||0||4||0||19 (1)||Rubin|