Evidence-based practice (EBP) is the thoughtful integration of the best scientific research with clinical expertise and patient needs and values.
EBP arose because all too often, health practitioners were making decisions solely based on personal experience, anecdote or “this is how we do it.”
EBP says that clinical expertise and judgment is critical, but must be coupled with the best research evidence and good patient communication.
- Identify the five steps of Evidence-Based Practice,
- Formulate a well-built question using the four components of PICO,
- Describe and use relevant evidence-based resources,
- Critically appraise information and apply evidence related to questions, and
- Re-evaluate the evidence for effectiveness and efficacy as related to your patient or problem.