If high-quality online courses and programs are a priority for universities, then instructors must be qualified, motivated and satisfied with teaching online.
The importance of the faculty role in helping students learn in an online environment cannot be overstated in terms of supporting effective online programs and courses. It is recommended that instructors engage in some type of faculty development experience prior to designing and teaching an online course. For a list of faculty development resources, see:
- Professional Development for Teaching Online (UMN Center for Educational Innovation).
- Course Re/design and Development (Academic Technology Support Services)
- Professional Development Resources for Online Teaching (UMN Resources)
- Resource Directory (UMN units that support online teaching)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance on how to get started for you or your college.
- Dietrich, D. (2015, February). Why Instructor Satisfaction Cannot be Ignored. Retrieved February 4, 2020, from https://elearnmag.acm.org/archive.cfm?aid=2735931 ↵