Module 1: Laboratory safety
What do I do once I have finished my laboratory procedure?
- Throw out any used laboratory materials.
- 2 points will be deducted from your course total score each time you leave an un-tidy benchtop
- Disinfect your benchtop.
- The disinfectant wipes are to be used on your silver trays, and the liquid disinfectant in the plastic bottles labeled disinfectant is used on the black laminate countertops.
- Disinfect your electronic devices
- If you used any electronic devices to access the eManual instead of a printed version, all items must be disinfected prior to leaving the laboratory
- Disinfect writing instruments
- If pens or other writing instruments were used during your experiment, these items should either remain in the lab at all times or should be disinfected if they will be taken out of the lab.
- Wash hands
- Do not forget your items in the bins
- Many other undergraduate and graduate courses use this lab every day, so your things cannot be stored here
- Experiments and procedures are done inside the silver tray on your bench
- The black counters are your non-procedure/experiment workspace
- We wear approved laboratory attire when in the microbiology laboratory space
- You will be working with BSL-2 pathogens
- If you do not know how to dispose of the waste products, please ask.